Monday, November 7, 2011

Meat for My Meal Plan

This is the meat I bought and how many meals (meals being for the two of us) came of it:
Whole Turkey (roasted myself) - about 1 meal per pound, so (8-9 lbs) 10 meals @ $2 per meal (compare pre-sliced turkey @ 4 meals for $24)

 

Ground Turkey (8lbs)+ Ground Beef (10lbs) - 24 meals @ $4 per meal
Chicken (18lbs) - 17 meals @ $2.5 per meal
Chicken/Turkey Sausage - 6 meals @ $2.5 per meal
Farmer Sausage - 3 meals @ $3 per meal
Beef (steaks/roasts) - 6 meals @ $8.5 per meal (grass fed, high quality cuts)
Shrimp - 7 meals @ $4 per meal
Tilapia/Basa Fillets - 5 meals @ $3 per meal
Tuna (cans) - 8 meals @ $1.50 per meal

This isn't even my whole meal plan, I have 22 weeks worth planned out but I have yet to buy the lamb (4 meals), plus a small amount of pork tenderloin (1 meal), and I also didn't buy the second half of the plan worth of chicken (12 meals) and fish (7 meals).

So, currently, the meat works out to about $3.50 per meal, $1.75 per person!  Not to mention, I was also able to get 6 cups of broth from from my turkey drippings and leftover veggies bits.  I also pre-packaged some of the freezable side-dishes (potatoes/sweet potatoes, asparagus, carrots, yam fries, frozen veggie mix, etc. - Foods That Freeze Well) that would accompany the meats.

This is what my freezer looks like now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment